Why Use Coaching Quotes?
Do you use Coaching Quotes in your business eg. with clients or on Social Media? Because if you’re not, it may be time to start! Quotes are a great way to connect with people – and specifically with your fans and followers – to share some of your personality, beliefs and values.
There is no doubt that quotes inspire – both us and our clients!
People love reading inspirational quotes – just look around on Social Media! There are also many books with collections of quotes like “Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations” (USA) first published in 1855 and now in its 18th edition. It’s one of the oldest and most commonly used collection of quotes. Learn more about Bartlett’s here on Wikipedia.
And quotes can also be powerful when used in coaching and workshops; a great quote at just the right time can be transformational. We explore this a little more later on.
Here’s What We Cover in this Article:
21 of the Best Inspirational Coaching Quotes
Let’s start with a look at some great coaching quotes! Below are 21 of the best quotes I’ve found about Career, Life Coaching and Mentoring:
- Coaching takes a holistic view of the individual: work, corporate values, personal needs and career development are made to work in synergy, not against one another.” British Journal of Administrative Management
- “…coaching focuses on equipping the individual to discover their unique potential.” Brian Cagneey
- “Once used to bolster troubled staffers, coaching now is part of the standard leadership development training for elite executives and talented up-and-comers at IBM, Motorola, J.P. Morgan, Chase, and Hewlett Packard. These companies are discreetly giving their best prospects what star athletes have long had: a trusted adviser to help reach their goals.” CNN.com
- “The benefits of coaching appear to win over even the most cynical clients within just a few weeks.” (either Money Magazine or Industry Week)*
- “We have done lots of research over the past three years, and we have found that leaders who have the best coaching skills have better business results.” Tanya Clemens, V.P. of Global Executive & Organizational Development at IBM
- “A coach may be the guardian angel you need to rev up your career.” (either Money Magazine or Newsweek)*
- “Coaching works because people learn by doing what they would have done anyway – just smarter, faster, better, and with support and feedback.” Consulting Today
- “Using coaching instead of sending executives and managers to seminars two or three times a year can be more beneficial to ongoing career development, not to mention less expensive…” PC Week
- “Corporate America had better heed the phenomenon…people won’t run on autopilot or by remote e-mail. No matter how much the world has changed, people on the job still need some mentoring, some monitoring, some meaningful interaction…personal coaching has earned it’s merits.” Fortune Magazine
- “I absolutely believe that people, unless coached, never reach their maximum capabilities.” Bob Nardelli
- “A life coach does for the rest of your life what a personal trainer does for your health and fitness.” Elaine MacDonald
- “I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable.” John Russell, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson Europe Ltd.
- “One of the most exciting things about coaching is the buzz you get when you push out of your comfort zone, come up with a plan and put it into action! Life takes on a whole new meaning as you re-create your life or career the way you want it.” Emma-Louise Elsey
- “Each person holds so much power within themselves that needs to be let out. Sometimes they just need a little nudge, a little direction, a little support, a little coaching, and the greatest things can happen.” Pete Carroll
- “Coaching isn’t therapy. It’s product development, with you as the product.” Fast Company
- “Simply put, Coaching is where you work with someone to connect with yourself – and what really matters. You redesign your environment, your career and/or your life and then your coach supports and challenges you as you take bold action to make it happen!” Emma-Louise Elsey
- “A coach is someone who tells you what you don’t want to hear, who has you see what you don’t want to see, so you can be who you have always known you could be.” Tom Landry
- “Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” John Crosby
- “Colleagues are a wonderful thing – but mentors, that’s where the real work gets done.” Junot Diaz
- “The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.” Steven Spielberg
- “A lot of people put pressure on themselves and think it will be way too hard for them to live out their dreams. Mentors are there to say, ‘Look, it’s not that tough. It’s not as hard as you think. Here are some guidelines and things I have gone through to get to where I am in my career.’ ” Joe Jonas
* I could not find where the original quote came from – only several places quoting either of the two sources.
And here’s one more inspirational coaching quote I found:
- “Coaches are aware of how to ignite passion and motivate people. They have an energy that is contagious and know exactly how to get their team excited.” Brian Cagneey
Why Use Coaching Quotes? What are the Benefits of Using Quotes in Coaching?
Quotes literally speak to us! Just some of the benefits of using coaching quotes are that they can:
- Be just the piece of wisdom someone needs when they’re stuck.
- Uplift and encourage us when we feel discouraged.
- Lighten or add humour to a situation.
- Confirm that we’re on the right path.
- Soothe us when we’re stressed.
- Provide a new way of looking at something – a reset or reframe.
- Set us thinking in whole new ways.
How and When to use Quotes in your Coaching Practice
Quotes can be used in a surprising number of ways in coaching. And with so many people feeling overwhelmed and busy, a short quote can be just the boost they need.
Here are 12 Specific Ways to use Coaching Quotes in your Coaching Practice:
Here are 7 Steps to Create Your Own Social Media Graphics (with 5 Free Image Sites & Image Creation Apps!)
7 Ways to Find Inspirational Quotes You Love!
Yes, you can search the internet or trawl through books every time you want to illustrate a point. But I highly recommend instead that you create your own quotes document! Keep your favourite and most relevant quotes in one place – organized by topic or theme. But where do you find good coaching quotes?
Here are 7 Easy Ways to Find Quotes to Use in Your Coaching Practice
- Think of the issues and goals your ideal clients (target market) has. What topics would help them overcome their problems and achieve their goals? Search for quotes on these topics.
- Is there someone you admire? Then simply do a google search for “Quotes by the Dalai Lama” or Maya Angelou or Louise Hay.
- Look in charity or thrift stores – or your local bookstore – for books with quote collections!
- Write down short phrases and sentences you love from books as you read them! TIP: Also make a note of the author, book and page you found it on.
- If someone says something that inspires you, write it down (plus who they are, when/where they said it). TIP: You may want to check they’re not simply quoting someone else first, by doing a web search.
- Take a look around on wikiquote.
- Look to the Greeks! The modern profession of coaching owes a great deal to Greek philosophy. This means a great place to start looking for powerful quotes is the Greek philosophers! Some of the big names include Socrates, Aristotle, Heraclitus, Plato, Epictetus, Pythagoras, Epicurus, Seneca and Plutarch. So, simply search for “Quotes by Greek philosophers” or “Quotes by Socrates etc” – and save the ones you love!
Here are our Articles with Inspirational Coaching Quotes
Below are all our list of quotes articles for you to get inspired and add to your favourites. Use these lists of quotes about coaching to inspire and educate your audience. Show them what coaching is, and the power of coaching! And remember to use quotes that have meaning for you – or around specific topics or dates – to build rapport and show your audience what you stand for:
Lists of Positive Quotes about Coaching
Inspirational Life Coaching Quotes
Lists of Quotes for “Special Dates”
Inspirational Quotes for Coaches by Famous People
3 Things to Be Careful of when Using Coaching Quotes in your Practice
Here are some thoughts about coaching quotes to leave you with:
- As mentioned, I thoroughly recommend you keep your own inspirational Coaching Quotes document. Spend a little time creating the document, then simply add more quotes you love as you find them. Over time your quotations list will grow! TIP: Create a shortcut on your computer desktop so you can quickly open and add in the quote you found!
- Quote yourself! If you hear yourself say something pithy and helpful, write it down. Or sit down and think about what you think NEEDS to be said. And then simply add that to your list of quotes!
- Remember to use poems and books you love too! Poems and passages in books can be beautiful and also inspire and help our clients. Use them whole, or use parts in a quote – mentioning the book or poem title where you found the quote. TIP: When using part of a poem (or book passage), be careful to keep to the poets original meaning/intention.
|Emma-Louise Elsey has been a coach for over 15 years. She’s a huge coaching fan and the founder of The Coaching Tools Company.com. Originally a project and relationship manager for Fortune 500 companies she combined her passion for coaching, creativity and love of systems to create over 100 brandable coaching tools, forms and exercises including 25+ completely free coaching tools. She now serves coaches and the coaching world through her exclusive newsletter for coaches, Coaches Helping Coaches Facebook Group and many other great tools, resources and ideas for your coaching toolbox. The Coaching Tools Company is also an official ICF Business Solutions Partner.|
If you enjoyed this article all about Inspirational Coaching Quotes, you may also like:
- Want to Create your own inspirational quote graphics? Read how here >>
- 4 x “Benefits of Coaching” Infographics (with quotes from fellow coaches)
- 25 Affirmations of What’s Inside A Coach’s Heart! (25 positive statements a coach might make – about coaching)
- AND Sign up for our newsletter here and in Month 2 you’ll get the eBook “499 Inspirational Quotes for Coaches!”